The Clam Rampant tagged me with this meme and I told her I would respond, so here we go . . .
1. Married priests. Yup, if the Church ever said, "Guys, if you're crazy enough to receive both Sacraments of Service . . . go for it," they would be no less consecrated men of God and there would still be black sheep among them. And a man who could be both a great priest and husband . . . now there's a real mensch.
2. Novus Ordo Mass. As long as it is without liturgical dance, bad songs, and homilies devoid of platitudes. I've seen one meeting that criteria - it was lovely. In fact, there are often spotted at my parish . . . although sometimes a platitude sneaks in. ;-) (At the risk of both of my priests reading my blog, you can argue among yourselves about whom I am speaking)
3. Hollywood. I just don't get the Cult of Celebrity.
4. Waking up before my alarm clock. I've stolen this one from the Clam. I usually wake about two minutes before it goes off.
5. Not getting a parking spot right by the entrance. I've got two working legs, I can walk.
6. Dogs jumping up on me. I know how to put those pooches in their place and some dogs I consider friend enough just to let it slide . . .
7. Open casket wakes. Whaddaya want? I'm a Bronx-born Irish Cat'lic and to us, we wanna see what kind of job the undertaker's done.
8. My husband's snoring. I sleep right through it, or if it does wake me, I like knowing he's there. Also my son's snoring. My daughter doesn't snore. I take the 5th for myself.
9. People wearing jeans to Mass. I recall a story told to me by a priest, about a poor family in Tijuana who lost a young son to illness. He described how they dressed his body in a new pair of denims and wove a crown for his head from the palms received on Palm Sunday. It was the best this family could afford. Who knows about the folks at Mass? Are their hearts in the right place?
10. Incense at Mass.
11. Gay people. I do think homosexuality is a psychological disorder, but I don't worry about people being gay. I don't like males acting all campy and bitchy, and being drag queens, because they are insulting women by presenting a parody of us. But watching programs like CSI, I am never disappointed about how many subcultures are created by the human mind - and whether it's S&M or "plushies", so long as it is done in the privacy of their own home, what's it to me? I guess that leads to Number 12 - Deviant sexual behavior between consenting adults.
13. Death. I don't want to go anytime soon, and I would like my dying to be relatively painless and terror-free, but when God writes the final chapter, I'm okay with what He wants. For this reason, I will be sorely pissed if the people who believe in reincarnation have it right.
14. Weather. Sure, there is a type of weather I don't like, such as when the Santa Anas blow, but I adapt. I like the variety. Of course, I do not live in a tornado-prone or hurricane-prone area, so I would probably change my mind about this if I lived in the Plains States or New Orleans.
15. If I don't finish the sudoku puzzle. I had fun while I was doing it.
16. People's cooking. Unless it is something I detest, I appreciate anything that someone else makes for me. This includes wedding/banquet food and church potlucks.
17. Foreign accents. Having grown up with an immigrant grandfather in my house, as well as living in a metropolis like NYC, I find I have little difficulty understanding broken English spoken with a heavy accent.
18. Taking public transportation. Sometimes I even enjoy it.
19. Global warming.
20. Instant coffee.
21. Mammograms. Save the ta-tas!
22. Fashion trends. I do not like clothes shopping and malls make me jumpy. Thus, I am not the type to worry about whether I am wearing "this season's colors."
23. The reunion of the Spice Girls. How can I find it bothersome when I find it completely meaningless?
24. Getting up early. Now, mind you, I don't like staying up late. When you have to get up early, it's because you have something to do - when you have to stay up late, it's because you have to get something done. Think about it.
25. Processed foods. I try to avoid them, but aren't we all a little happier because someone put aerosol cheeze in a can or came up with a tuna helper? And Cool Whip - how more joyful our lives because of that.
26. Whether the groundhog sees his shadow. The seasons will change when they do. Don't rush the year.
27. Leaving a really great vacation place. I just tell myself that a place like that is worth coming back to, and I will someday. Until then, au revoir.
29. Public speaking. Good thing, huh?
30. Snakes. Okay, maybe if I happened upon a Black Mamba, I might think differently. But I had a pet garter snake ("Sol") when I was a kid and later a boa ("Eleanor") when I was a young adult. They makes great pets - easy to feed, easy to clean up after, no need to walk in the morning, and quiet. And some of them have simply gorgeous colors.
31. Just one more thing - comments made on my blog. If you don't agree with what I say, or you think I'm a fool, have at it. I no longer moderate and I accept anonymous comments.